please do the following:
1) First, check the ‘Benefit Booklet’ given you by your insurance carrier. This lists in detail all of the covered expenses under your particular plan. Look for the section under ‘Covered Expenses’ relating to ‘prosthesis’ or ‘prosthetic devices.’ Or you can contact your insurance carrier to ask about coverage for to ‘prosthesis’ or ‘prosthetic devices’.
2) Obtain a written "PRESCRIPTION" for "CRANIAL HAIR PROSTHESIS" from your doctor/treating physician. On this prescription, have your doctor to include your specific diagnosis. (For Example: If you have been diagnosed with Alopecia, there are different types. Have your doctor to be very detailed and to include the exact strand/type of medical condition that has caused your hair loss.
3) Also, request a separate detailed letter from your doctor explaining the extent of your hair loss and the mental distress you have experienced due to your medical treatment (the effects on your daily life). A brief letter from a psychiatrist or psychologist may also be beneficial, if available.
4) Take pictures of your hair WITHOUT a wig on. This will immediately show that your claim is not for cosmetic purposes.
5) Write a personal letter of your own explaining/outlining the effects that hair loss has had on your daily life. Detail the emotional effects that your condition or your medical treatment has had on your life. Discuss the financial aspects of frequent wig purchases. Advise that a cranial prosthesis is just as medically necessary as a prosthetic limb or breast: it replaces a missing body part hair. Explain the benefits of purchasing this type of prostheses (it is made to order, perfect fit, more natural, etc.). Explain that although the initial cost of a custom prostheses is higher, it will also last several years, thereby being a cost-effective item.
6) You will provide all the above to our company. We will then contact you so that we may submit your claim to your insurance provider.
7) The entire process to filing an insurance claim can take a total of 7-10 business days.
Charlotte, NC 28202
Mon Appointment Only
Tues- Fri: 10AM - 6PM
Sat: 10AM - 5PM
Sun: Appointment Only